Measuring the sugar level & blood glucose levels seem to be for those people who are health & fitness conscious. A glucometer plays a significant role in diabetic patients &helps them to keep a track of their glucose levels in the body.
Advanced Technology & Science have discovered this device so that the patients are not required to visit the clinic to keep a check of sugar levels in their blood when they are at a critical stage.
A glucose meter, technically referred to as a glucometer is an excellent equipment that helps the patients to determine the levels of glucose by examining the blood sample of the person.
The above process is done by pricking the skin with a medical lancet and setting the blood test on a strip that goes into the machine.
Since various brands manufacture this product, we need to know about the right one.
Below you’re provided with some of the Best Glucometers that you can buy in India:
Top 6 Best Glucometer Reviewed
1. Accu-Check Instant Blood Glucose Monitor –
Accu-Check Instant Blood Glucose Monitor is referred to as the best glucometer in India which is accompanied by a pack of 10 strips & 10 sterile lancets.
It displays the result on the screen in a mere 4 seconds. There are nine colour markers in the device i.e. Red indicates ‘Low’, Green indicates ‘Normal’ while Blue indicates ‘High’ glucose level.
The device is required to store at a room temperature of 8 degrees to 42 degrees.
- The gadget is easy to carry & very accessible.
- The device stores at a limit of 750 samples by giving us the scope to control the glucose levels precisely.
- The overall execution of the Accu-Check Glucometer is acceptable & gives accurate results.
- The samples of the gadget claim Venous Capillary, Neonate & Arterial.
- The device has come up with a few test strips.
- The pack accompanied by the strips is costly.
2. Dr Trust Glucometer Machine-
Dr Trust Glucometer Machine is manufactured by a brand of the USA that works differently depending upon the sample inserted.
The above device is a fully automated & has a Ketone feature that checks the imbalance of Ketone levels in the body.
The device displays the readings within 5 seconds along with a Smiley symbol i.e.
– Happy Smiley for Good Results &,
– Sad Smiley for Bad Results.
- The gadget consists of a huge display screen with backlight by making it easy to read the results.
- This device requires a very small unit of blood i.e. 0.5µl to check blood sugar levels.
- The strips can last as long as 2 years while the lancets have a life expectancy of 5 years.
- The device has a memory of storing 1000 readings.
- The internal settings & features of the gadget might puzzle some users.
- The test strips are quite expensive.
3. Dr Morepen BG-03 Glucometer-
Dr Morepen BG-03 Glucometer comprises restorative lancets, 25 strips & LCD display.
The beep alert feature in the device helps in knowing an increase or drop in the sugar levels.
Dr Morepen BG-03 Glucometer alarms when the device is turned on for measuring the samples and when the test is completed & works differently for different kinds of penetrations.
Unlike other brands, this glucometer is comparatively stylish & attracts most of the customers.
- The producer offers a lifetime warranty on this glucometer model.
- The device has a capacity of storing 300 readings.
- This gadget requires a very small unit of blood i.e. 0.5µl to check glucose levels of the body.
- The design quality of the glucometer can be improved by incorporating some standard quality materials in it.
- The self-life of test strips is shorter than that of the competitors.
4. BeatO Smartphone Glucose Meter-
BeatO is a newly commenced business that facilitates the users to see the results on their smartphone. The display of readings includes the sugar level, fasting option, date and time, etc. for the ease of users.
BeatO Glucometer has excelled in long-lasting battery life & smartphone integration. It makes use of 3V of DC power supply that can be handled by using a battery.
The device comes with a lancet & a pack of 20 strips.
- The device has an outstanding battery performance due to which it carries out 4000 tests on a scale.
- The glucometer has a long battery life.
- The gadget is small in size & is quite easy to handle.
- The device needs a small blood sample i.e. 0.6µl.
- The entire pack is quite expensive to purchase.
- This glucometer would become inaccessible in the absence of a smartphone.
- It takes 10 seconds to display results on the screen.
5. OneTouch Select Simple Glucometer-
OneTouch Select Simple Glucometer is manufactured by Johnson & Johnson. This glucometer is mainly designed for those people who are suffering from Diabetes for a long time & can be personalized according to personal & therapy goals.
The audio-video alarm mechanism of this glucometer notifies the customers about their sugar & glucose levels in the body.
This device is easy to access & is widely preferred in hospitals, clinics, health care centres & other locations.
- It has an alert mechanism when the battery of the device gets low.
- Results get displayed on the screen in no time.
- The company offers a lifetime replacement option to the customers.
- It doesn’t require any coding chip making it easy to use.
- The Lithium cell battery is used to make the glucometer last longer as compared to others.
- This device has two indicators i.e.:- Blue Indicator (low sugar levels)- Red Indicator (worst situation)
- The major disadvantage of this glucometer is that it does not incorporate any memory function & the data gets dismissed after the testing.
- The device comes up with only 10 test strips, which is very low as compared to other glucometers.
6. Bayer Contour TS Blood Glucometer-
Bayer Contour TS Blood Glucometer is produced by Panasonic Health Care Company Limited & is popular with every age group because of its easy operational functioning.
The technologies used in the gadget helps in eliminating the accuracies to get right results & increase customer satisfaction.
The test strips are orange in colour & capable of displaying results in a very short span of time. This is the best product for people looking for self-testing of sugar & glucose levels.
Moreover, the device is capable of working at room temperatures of 5°C to 45°C also.
- With the purchase of this glucometer, the manufacturer provides a 1-year warranty of the product from the date of purchase.
- This device comprises a large display screen for better visibility of the results to the user.
- The test requires a tiny amount of blood i.e. 0.6uL.
- The screen displays results within 8 seconds which is quite a long time as compared to other glucometers.
- The strips are quite expensive.
BUYING GUIDE FOR THE BEST GLUCOMETERS
Accuracy is the most vital factor considered while choosing a glucometer. When the results are displayed on the screen, it gives proper information & knowledge of your blood sugar levels. If the device is not appropriate in displaying results, it will create confusion & misunderstandings regarding your health & treatment.
A customer should always opt that glucometer that has a good memory of storing the records, at least the last 10 readings, for keeping a proper track of blood sugar levels.
This feature facilitates customers for not memorizing & jotting down every time’s readings to keep a check on fluctuating blood sugar levels.
The quality & life of the strips plays an important role while selecting the right glucometer. A test strip acts as the main ingredient of the entire process as they check the sugar levels & display the readings on the screen.
The customer would have to refill the stock of strips. Hence, the cost of strips should also be considered before purchasing a glucometer.
A potential customer should also choose those glucometers which notify them about their low, high or normal sugar levels. It proved to be a great feature for elderly people as they do not have to memorize the ideal readings.
Notifications also alert the customers about the draining battery of the device. But this feature varies in different ways, as some glucometers have beep alert while others have LED notifications.
Customers should always check for the warranty period before purchasing a glucometer. Many manufacturers provide a lifetime warranty or replacement period for their products.
Usually, customers get a warranty of 1-5 years on the glucometers which helps them eliminate the chances of disbursing money on the exchange.
A customer would never want to wait for hours to know about their blood sugar levels in the body. A longer test time would also cause a delay in the treatment process, in case of urgency.
But due to technological advancements, many glucometers offers a test time of fewer than 5 seconds. Only “BeatO Smartphone Glucose Meter” takes 10 seconds to display results, because it offers more information to the user than a conventional glucometer.
Size of the Glucometer:
If a person uses the device very frequently, then a small-sized glucometer would help the patient to be at ease. A small sized glucometer also helps in carrying the device anywhere, even for travelling purposes.
Some glucometers require you to insert a code (found on the case of the test strips) to utilize them with that pack of test strips.
Coding helps to measure accurate test results. However, modern and technologically advanced glucometers do not require coding as they are provided with the best quality test strips that are capable of generating accurate blood glucose results.
If you enter an incorrect code in the device, the reading will be inaccurate, which can confuse the diagnosis of the patient.
However, some glucometer models contain code in the test strips itself while other models contain a microchip in the batch of the strips that can be inserted in the device for readings.
Glucometers play a vital role in a diabetic patient’s survival. From the above discussion we’ve also realized that how accuracy is an important factor while choosing a glucometer as it would directly affect the diagnosis of a diabetic patient.
We have already compiled 6 best Glucometers a person should buy in India. Although we have assembled nearly all the important details for you, but do not contemplate it as a piece of medical advice.
You should always seek advice from your doctor if you want more information about any of the above discussed-glucometers.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
- What is coding in a glucometer?
Coding is a process of adjusting meter when you use another pack of strips. Each strip manufacturer gives the code that you use to instruct the glucometer to change the readings.
- How to use lancets or strips while testing?
It is highly advisable not to reuse any test strip or lancet as they are extremely unhygienic & won’t display accurate results. Also, a used lancet will become less sharpened & will get painful & risky for the finger when pricking.
- Explain the working of a glucometer?
Glucometer helps in measuring the sugar & glucose levels in the blood. Firstly, you enter a strip into the device & then, the device signals you to put a drop of blood on the strip. Prick your finger and set the blood sample.
Once the required amount of blood is on the strip, the device gives the readings about glucose or sugar levels in the body. Many glucometers have the alert function for higher & lower sugar levels.
- Where should the strips & lancets be stored?
The strips and lancets should always be stored in a case. They are made up of plastic & mostly glucometers come with it. Always make sure that the case in which the lancets & strips are stored should always be tightly closed & it should be placed away from heat, dirt, direct sunlight & humidity.
- Do these test strips expire?
Yes, test strips expire & the date of expiry will be mentioned on the pack of strips. The expiration of test strips varies from brand to brand.
- Can testing be done anywhere besides the finger?
The most usual area for testing is the fingertip. However, there are some alternative locations also from where blood samples can be taken, such as your arm or palm.